Three Musketeers: Zachary, Wyatt, & Yannick

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers>

Monday, September 07, 2009

Our Little Boy is Growing Up: Zach goes to school

Background: Earlier in the spring, Art and I spent a good deal of time discussing whether or not we should send Zachary to preschool. We are not worried about him learning "things", as he has a great desire to learn and teaching him at home is easy. He loves knowing his letters and numbers and is already trying to write. Often, he will help me "write" my grocery list. He'll say "ok, we need bananas", then write a little squiggle. Then milk, etc. However, his aptitude for learning aside, he does have a bit of a problem with socialization. He is just fine with a very small group of kids, and plays just fine. Big groups terrify him though. When we go to storytime at the library, he does not participate in the singing, dancing, etc. He will not shout out answers like the other kids. Same happens at large group activities at church. So we looked into preschool. We did not want anything too intense, but just 2 mornings a week for a few hours each. Much much much research. We came to the conclusion that we just could not afford it yet, and we could revisit it when he is 4. After all, 3 is still young. THEN, we had an unexpected monetary windfall this summer. When discussing what we should do with the extra cash, both Art and I decided on preschool. Much much much research and contacting schools ensued. The majority of places were still out of control expensive (WHO pays $3000 - $8000 for preschool??). One place, a Montessori school, has 5-day programs only and charges $13,000 a year - with no scholarships until kindergarten. Needless to say, their brochure went into the trash. After much research, we settled onto the YMCA preschool program: http://www.mcgawymca.org/index.cfm?fa=chi.part We had heard good things about it from other parents. I went to the parent orientation to check it out and see his classroom and such b/f deciding for sure. What I like about YMCA preschool:
1. We can afford it
2. Swimming lessons on Tuesdays
3. Gym time (climbing, giant mats, balls, etc) on Thursdays
4. Follow the Skokie school district curriculum
5. Structured schedule of activities
9-9:05 enter and wash hands
9:05-9:30 morning table activites (3 different table w/ 3 choices)
9:30-9:45 circle time: songs, chatting, dancing, etc
9:45-10:05 storytime
10:05-10:15 potty time and wash hands
10:15-10:30 snack time
and so on and so on
6. Will be a diversified class
7. He has 3 teachers in the class at all times (less then 30 students)
8. They offer 2-day-a-week preschool. Many only offer MWF, or M-F, neither of which we wanted. Plus the morning sched was exactly what we were looking for (9-12) One TTh place was 9-11 which is too short.

It will be fun for me to have Zach at the Y, since I worked there (and Staci, and my Mom) for 6 or so years. I used to work in the nursery, and now I'll drop Zach and Wyatt off at the nursery when I go work out.

Which brings me to my next point of background info. For Zach to go to YMCA preschool, he needs to be a memeber. SO, we decided to get a family membership so that we will have somewhere fun to go this winter. We took a tour, and I LOVE their kids play area (I can leave them there for 2 hours while I work out and shower, or just sit on the couch and read for 2 hours, whatever), it is MUCH better than the one where I worked. They will love it. My favorite part of this story. A regular family membership is $86/month for all 4 of us. They were running an Evanston resident special which would take the rate to $71/month. HOWEVER, one of Art's coworkers suggested we apply for financial assistance (he is also a post-doc with a child), which we did and got our rate down to $43/month. What a steal! So I'm psyched about that.

Now we are all set. Zach is off to school tomorrow, and we will try out the Y on Wednesday. It will also be fun b/c Art, the boys, and I can go swimming there this winter.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger storm said...

I love the Y! Before we moved into 1224 Chicago, we were members there and it really saved me in the previous winter! We paid just under $30 for the entire family because it was based on our previous year's income and we had none! their pool was where En & Min first started learning to swim!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home